||Kenneth Mellard, M.Ed., M.B.A.
Developing, sharpening, and maintaining leadership skills are the foundation of every successful career. The Leadership Studies program at Rockhurst University seeks to develop and build leaders at all levels for all professional, business, political, community, or service careers. By learning models designed to solve organizational and social problems, and studying their application by successful leaders in a variety of settings, students develop knowledge and confidence useful throughout their lifetimes. Additionally, students develop the effective research skills useful for any career. The program prepares students for an immediate career or to continue their education in graduate school.
In the Jesuit tradition, Rockhurst University’s Leadership Studies program seeks to equip students to succeed by molding them into leaders who:
- understand their strengths, weaknesses, values and worldview
- confidently innovate and adapt to embrace a changing world
- engage others with a positive, loving attitude
- energize themselves and others through heroic ambitions
(Lowney, C., p. 9, 2003)
As such, emphasis is placed upon the discovery of each student’s leadership potential by building the student’s leadership skills through case studies, group endeavors, applied research, and interaction with contemporary leaders.
The Leadership program is available in the evening for students’ convenience, as well as in the daytime.
Through the School of Graduate and Professional Studies, Rockhurst University offers:
- A major in Leadership Studies culminating with the Bachelor of Arts degree;
- A minor in Leadership Studies (18 hours of upper-division course work);
- A certificate in Leadership Studies (15 hours of coursework).
ProgramsBachelor of ArtsMinorCertificate