Apr 11, 2021
The RN-BSN program provides quality education that builds on the RN’s prior learning and nursing experience while recognizing their unique challenges when seeking a baccalaureate degree. The RN-BSN program seeks to build on the strengths of the learner while supporting their developmental potential. Adult learning principles used throughout the curriculum facilitate meaningful learning that the student can use to impact their world immediately and in the long-term. This program helps learners to transform their nursing practice by sharpening and improving critical thinking and reasoning, promoting leadership skills that enhances personal and professional possibilities, lifelong learning, developing lifelong professional relationships, and feeling a sense of pride and accomplishment.
RN-BSN Academic Requirements
Upon recommendation of the faculty, Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences at Rockhurst University will confer the degree of Bachelor of Science in Nursing upon students who have fulfilled the following requirements:
- Completion of the 120 hours of the required program of study for the BSN degree.
- Completion of a maximum of 36 nursing credit hours transferred from an associate or diploma program.
- Completion of up to 54 credit hours of general education coursework to include statistics, ethics and nutrition.
- Completion of the 30 semester hours of nursing coursework within three years of enrollment at Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences at Rockhurst University.
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.0 with no grade below C counting towards graduation.
- RN-BSN students must earn a minimum of 30 credit hours from Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences at Rockhurst University to receive a degree from Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences at Rockhurst University and to meet residency requirements.
Return to Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences .
RN-BSN Certification Requirements
- Verification of RN Certificate/Associates degree required to earn 36 Transfer nursing credit.
RN-BSN Non Program Electives
Take a minimum of 45 non program electives with a minimum grade of C.
RN-BSN Prerequisite Requirements
The following prerequisite courses must earn a minimum grade of C.
RN-BSN Major Requirements
The following courses must earn a minimum grade of C.
The BSN program has prerequisite requirements requiring coursework to follow a specific order. A 2-credit hour nursing elective course must also be taken prior to graduation. The nursing elective must be an approved elective as listed in the academic course catalog and it must be taken at Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences at Rockhurst University. Courses are not offered every semester. An academic advisor will develop your individualized plan of study.
NOTE: The Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences at Rockhurst University RN-BSN program honors Memorandum of Understanding agreements with the following entities to grant course credit to any of the following:
- Students who have completed their nurse residency through Saint Luke’s Hospital System
- Students in the Neosho County Community College ADN program
- Students in the North Central Missouri College ADN program
- Students in the Penn Valley College ADN program
Credit by Examination (CBE):
Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences at Rockhurst University seeks to provide students with multiple options to meet all requirements while maintaining academic rigor and integrity. Credit by examination (CBE) is one option. Credit by examination is accepted for general education prerequisites and RN-BSN core courses. Students must meet benchmark (73%) or equivalent to earn college credit towards degree completion. CBE does not carry a letter grade and is not calculated in the grade point average. No more than nine (9) hours of CBE and//or credit by prior learning may be earned for nursing courses.
For details please contact the Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences admissions office for the RN-BSN program.