The basis for developing an appreciation of the role of business as a societal institution is provided by a broad knowledge of business: its history, its impact upon individuals, its economic importance, and its social responsibilities. In addition, a full appreciation requires knowledge of the various environments (financial, economic, technological, governmental, social and cultural, and global) within which firms must operate. The degree includes an understanding of the complexities of problem solving and the ethical implications of managerial decision-making at the enterprise level and provides the basis for further studies.
The BSBA program and area concentrations are additionally accredited by AACSB International.
Graduation Requirements for the BSBA Degree
The Helzberg School of Management requires that at least 50 percent of all business credit hours required for the BSBA degree be earned at Rockhurst University. This policy excludes the lower-division economics, mathematics, and statistics courses.
The Helzberg School of Management BSBA degree requires students to earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in Helzberg School Core Courses and earn a grade of C or above in the 15 hours of upper-division courses required for the degree or concentration. In addition, students must successfully complete a senior capstone course with a grade of C or above.
A maximum of all business credit hours earned toward the BSBA may not exceed 50 percent of the total credit hours required for graduation.
Additional degree requirements and policies are described in the Academic Policies and Procedures section of the catalog.
- Leadership: Demonstrate the pursuit of personal excellence while helping others develop to their full potential.
- Ethical Behavior & Corporate Social Responsibility: Analyze ethical & corporate social responsibility issues in context & implement appropriate action (s).
- Business Skills & Knowledge: Explain, integrate & apply foundational business knowledge & skills to effectively lead & manage organizations.
- International/Global: Demonstrate the achievement of a global perspective that views business activity within a complex & changing world context.
- Informational Analysis & Application: Identify, access, analyze & synthesize appropriate business information.
- Communication (Written & Oral): Communicate effectively & create an environment where effective communication can occur.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Analyze the qualities of an effective leader they have known, using leadership theory.
- Evaluate personal leadership strengths they currently possess & areas for future personal growth.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively in groups & foster positive team dynamics.
- Identify key issues in a case/issue.
- Identify alternative courses of action with respect to a case/issue.
- Analyze the implications of courses of action from the view of multiples perspectives.
- Recommend a course of action with clearly stated reasoning.
- Define, describe, & demonstrate foundational business skills & knowledge.
- Within a chosen concentration, define, describe, & demonstrate an intermediate knowledge level.
- Within a chosen concentration, apply analytical & evaluative business skills & knowledge.
- Analyze global issues/topics with clear & compelling reasoning.
- Identify causes & contributing factors relevant to global issues/topics.
- Analyze relevant aspects of society with respect to global issues/topics.
- Develop & select possible business solutions relevant to global issues/topics.
- Research & document an accurate, clear & comprehensive set of quantitate or qualitative data needed to understand & analyze business scenarios, develop forecasts, as well as identify appropriate courses of action.
- Identity the most appropriate & effective set of tools & processes needed to analyze quantitative & qualitative data needed to address business scenarios, develop forecasts, as well as identify appropriate courses of action.
- Develop a complete, well-organized, & professional analysis report (oral & written) that presents forecasts &/or an appropriate course of action (s) need to address business scenarios.
- Produce communications of appropriate substance.
- Organize complete & well-reasoned communications.
- Deliver appropriate quality communications in different contexts.